So the reading project continues to be a bit on the grim side. I’m trying really hard to read “Some Motifs in Baudelaire” which is one of the best things ever to be put on paper and has as its subject one of my top five all-time great essay topics (how compelling Freud’s ideas become when you realize that pathology/trauma is a difference in measure and not in kind), but even that is slow going. I have started with The Fugitive again, and have high hopes of being done with the whole stupid thing this year. Cross your fingers.
I was thinking about what I was doing at work and for my classes, and it occurred to me that I wasn’t writing enough code for either, because my tasks were specifically defined enough that I didn’t really need to do much more than fill in a template (although before you get any ideas, that template does indeed reside in my head.) Despite feeling a little harried already, I decided I needed a tinkering project. Initially I was going to write one tiny application a day, but after talking with known computer-wizard Gnarles “Fighting Quaker” Chen I decided making something small (but hopefully somewhat functional) on Monday and monkeying with it for the rest of the week was a better idea. I’m glad I did, because my first project which I thought would be a total toss-off (converting from any int representation — taken as a string from argv — to any other) turned out to be a way bigger pain than I thought it would be, and I’m pretty sure it’s due for at least one catastrophic revision (hopefully involving turning a bunch of atoi-like conversions into a process of setting bits; promise: fulfilled.)